Plotkin, Lilian I., PhD
- University of Buenos Aires, School of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, Biochemist, 1987
- University of Buenos Aires, School of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, PhD, 1996
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1998-2002
- 2014-present Associate Professor. Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- 2008-2014 Assistant Professor. Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- 2008-present Graduate Faculty, Indiana University School of Medicine.
- 2005-2008 Research Assistant Professor. Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism and UAMS Center for Osteoporosis and Metabolic Bone Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas.
- 2002-2005 Research Instructor. Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism andUAMS Center for Osteoporosis and Metabolic Bone Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas.
- 1998-2002 Postdoctoral Research Fellow. Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism and UAMS Center for Osteoporosis and Metabolic Bone Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas. Molecular mechanisms of bisphosphonate action on osteoblastic cells.
- 1991-1993 Teaching Assistant in Immunology and Immunochemistry and Monoclonal Antibodies, Dept. of Immunology, School of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, National University of Buenos Aires.
- 1989-2000 Research Assistant, Instituto de Estudios de la Inmunidad Humoral, National Research Council of Argentina (CONICET) (leave of absence from 1998 to 2000).
- Argentinean Society for Osteology and Mineral Metabolism
- International Bone and Mineral Society
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2015 Overseas Conference Grant Award from the Office of the Vice President for International Affairs (OVPIA) at Indiana University
- 2012 Overseas Conference Grant Award from the Office of the Vice President for International Affairs (OVPIA) at Indiana University
- 2010 Overseas Conference Grant Award from the Office of the Vice President for International Affairs (OVPIA) at Indiana University
- 2002 Young Investigator Award, 23rd Annual Meeting of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research. San Antonio, TX, USA.
- 2001 Alice L. Jee Memorial Young Investigator Award. 31st International Sun Valley Hard Tissue Workshop. Sun Valley, Idaho, USA.
- 1999 Second Best 1998 Scientific Paper Award. Argentinean Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism. Plotkin, L.I., Sarli, M., Sgarlata, C., Zanchetta, R.J., Plotkin, H., Leoni, J., Mathov, I. Serum levels of Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Protein-3 (IGFBP-3) and Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF-I) in patients with osteoporosis. Argentinean Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism 35:169-178, 1998.
- 1998 Travel Award 1998 American Society for Bone and Mineral Research-International Bone and Mineral Society joint Meeting.
The goal of my research is to understand the molecular mechanisms that are involved in the regulation of intracellular signaling in bone cells. In particular, my research focuses on the role of connexin43 as a regulator of intracellular signaling activated by pharmacotherapeutic, hormonal and mechanical stimuli in cultured cells and in animal models.
- Plotkin, L.I., Bivi, N. Bellido, T. A bisphosphonate that does not affect osteoclasts prevents osteoblast and osteocyte apoptosis and the loss of bone strength induced by glucocorticoids in mice. Bone 49:122-127, 2011.
- Bivi, N., Lezcano, V., Romanello, M., Bellido, T., Plotkin, L.I. Connexin43 interacts with βarrestin: a pre-requisite for osteoblast survival induced by parathyroid hormone. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry 112:2920-2930, 2011. Featured as “Not to be missed” in IBMS BoneKEy 2011 Jul 1 doi:10.1138/20110518.
- Bivi, N., Condon, K., Allen, M.R., Farlow, N., Passeri, G., Rhee, Y., Bellido, T., Plotkin, L.I. Cell autonomous requirement of connexin 43 for osteocyte survival: consequences for endocortical resorption and periosteal bone formation. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 27:374-389, 2012. Featured as “Not to be missed” in IBMS BoneKEy 2011 Nov 1 doi:10.1138/20110538.
- Bivi, N., Nelson, M., Faillace, M., Li, J., Miller, L.M., Plotkin, L.I. Deletion of Cx43 from osteocytes results in defective bone material properties and decreased strength in cortical bone. Calcified Tissue International 91:215-224, 2012.
- Bivi, N., Pacheco-Costa, R., Brun, L.R. Murphy, T.R., Farlow, N.R., Robling, A.G., Bellido, T., Plotkin, L.I. Deletion of Cx43 selectively from osteocytes increases the osteogenic response to ulna loading in mice. Journal of Orthopaedic Research 31:1075-1081, 2013.
- Pacheco-Costa R, Hassan I, Reginato RD, Davis HM, Bruzzaniti A, Allen MR, Plotkin LI. High Bone Mass in Mice Lacking Cx37 Due to Defective Osteoclast Differentiation. Journal of Biological Chemistry 289:8508-8520, 2014.
- Tu X, Delgado-Calle, J, Condon KW, Maycas-Cepeda, M, Zhang H, Carlesso N, Taketo MM, Burr DB, Plotkin LI, Bellido T. Osteocytes mediate the anabolic actions of canonical Wnt/βcatenin signaling in bone. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America 112:E478-E486, 2015.
- Plotkin LI, Gortazar AR, Davis HM, Condon KW, Gabilondo H, Maycas M, Allen MR, Bellido T. Inhibition of osteocyte apoptosis prevents the increase in osteocytic rankl but it does not stop bone resorption or the loss of bone induced by unloading. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 290:18934-18942, 2015.
- Pacheco-Costa R, Davis HM, Sorenson C, Hon MC, Hassan I, Reginato RD, Allen MR, Bellido T, Plotkin LI. Defective cancellous bone structure and abnormal response to PTH in cortical bone of mice lacking Cx43 cytoplasmic C-terminus domain. Bone 81:632-643, 2015.
- Delgado-Calle J, Anderson A, Cregor MD, Hiasa M, Chirgwin JM, Carlesso N, Yoneda T, Mohammad KS, Plotkin LI, Roodman GD, Bellido T. Bidirectional Notch signaling and osteocyte-derived factors drive tumor cell proliferation and bone destruction in multiple myeloma. Cancer Research 76:1089-1010, 2016.
- Hammond MA, Bernam AG, Pacheco-Costa R, Davis HM, Plotkin LI, Wallace JM. Removing or truncating connexin 43 in murine osteocytes alters cortical geometry, nanoscale morphology, and tissue mechanics in the tibia. Bone doi: 10.1016/j.bone.2016.04.021, 2016.
Invited reviews and letters to the editor
- Turner CA, Warden SJ, Bellido T, Plotkin LI., Kumar N, Jasiuk I, Danzig J, Robling AG. Mechanobiology of the skeleton. Science Signaling 2:pt3, 2009.
- Plotkin LI. Bisphosphonates, connexins and apoptosis of osteocytes and osteoblasts: a novel mechanism of action with therapeutic potential. Actualizaciones en Osteología 6:16-23, 2010.
- Plotkin LI. Connexin 43 and bone: not just a gap junction protein. Actualizaciones en Osteología 7:79-90, 2011.
- Bellido T, Plotkin LI. Novel actions of bisphosphonates in bone: Preservation of osteoblast and osteocyte viability. Bone 49:50-55, 2011.
- Plotkin LI., Bellido, T. Beyond gap junctions: Connexin43 and bone cell signaling. Bone 52:157-166, 2013.
- Plotkin LI. Apoptotic osteocytes and the control of targeted bone resorption. Current Osteoporosis Reports 12:121-126, 2014.
- Plotkin LI. Connexin 43 hemichannels and intracellular signaling in bone cells. Frontiers in Physiology 5:1-8, 2014.
- Plotkin LI, Speacht T, Donahue HJ. Cx43 and mechanotransduction in bone. Current Osteoporosis Reports 13:67-72, 2015.
- Plotkin LI, and Stains JP. Connexins and pannexins in the skeleton: gap junctions, hemichannels and more. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences 72:2853-2867, 2015.
- Plotkin, LI, Laird DW, Amedee, J. Role of connexins and pannexins during ontogeny, regeneration, and pathologies of bone. BioMed Central - Cell Biology, in press.
- Plotkin, LI, Bellido T. From inside your bones: Osteocytic signaling pathways as therapeutic targets for bone fragility. Nature Reviews Endocrinology, in press.
- Bellido, T. and Plotkin, L.I. Detection of apoptosis of bone cells in vitro. In Osteoporosis. J.J. Westendorf, editor. Humana Press, 51-75, 2008.
- Jilka, R.L., Bellido, T., Almeida, M., Plotkin, L.I., O’Brien, C.A., Weinstein, R.S., Manolagas, S.C. Apoptosis of Bone Cells. InPrinciples of Bone Biology (J.P. Bilezikian, L.G. Raisz, and T.J. Martin, editors), Academic Press, 237-261, 2008.
- Bellido, T., Plotkin, L.I., Bruzzaniti, A. Bone Cells. InBasic and Applied Bone Biology (D.B. Burr and M.R. Allen, editors), Elsevier, 27-46, 2013.
- Plotkin, L.I., Bivi, N. Local regulation of bone cell function. InBasic and Applied Bone Biology (D.B. Burr and M.R. Allen, editors), Elsevier, 47-74, 2013.
Additional mansucripts can be found at Plotkin_bibliography