Allen, Matthew R., PhD
- Alma College, Exercise & Health Science, BS, 1994-1998
- Texas A&M University, Department of Health & Kinesiology, PhD, 1998-2003
- Indiana University School of Medicine, Department of Anatomy & Cell Biology, Postdoctoral fellow, 2003-2005
- 2003: Postdoctoral Fellow. Department of Anatomy & Cell Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis IN.
- 2006: Assistant Research Professor. Department of Anatomy & Cell Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis IN.
- 2008: Assistant Professor. Department of Anatomy & Cell Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis IN.
- 2013: Associate Professor (with Tenure). Department of Anatomy & Cell Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis IN.
- 2013: Non-Clinical Scientist. Clinical Science and Biomedical Laboratory Research & Development Services - Roudebush VA Medical Center, Indianapolis IN.
- 2014: Adjuncct Associate Professor. Department of Medicine/Division of Nephrology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis IN.
- 2015: Adjuncct Associate Professor. Department of Orthopaedics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis IN.
- 2015: Adjuncct Associate Professor. Department of Biomedical Engineering, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), Indianapolis IN.
- American Association of Anatomists
- International Bone and Mineral Society
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
- International Society of Bone Morphometry
- 2001: Sun Valley Hard Tissue Workshop Young Investigator Travel Award
- 2001: Texas American College of Sports Medicine Manuscript Award
- 2002: Texas American College of Sports Medicine Doctoral Poster Award
- 2005: American Society of Bone and Mineral Research Young Investigator Award
- 2006: International Bone and Mineral Society Travel Award, Davos Bisphosphonate Meeting
- 2006: Sun Valley Hard Tissue Workshop Young Investigator Travel Award
- 2006: American Society of Bone and Mineral Research media worthy abstract designation
- 2009: American Association of Anatomists' Morphological Sciences Award
Our laboratory studies the tissue-level mechanisms responsible for musculoskeletal integrity in health and disease. We utilize numerous in vivo model systems to understand how disease and pharmaceutical intervention influence bone structure, cellular activity, tissue-level properties (such as mineralization, microdamage, collagen, hydration), and biomechanical properties.
We study diseases/conditions such as osteoporosis, diabetes, chronic kidney disease, disuse,and aging using techniques such as imaging (CT, DXA, X-ray), histology (static and dynamic histomorphometry, microdamage), and mechanical testing (bending, compression, reference point indentation).
PUBLICATIONS IN RESEARCH:
REFEREED PUBLICATIONS [† as mentor]:
1. SA Bloomfield, MR Allen, HA Hogan, and MD Delp. Site- and compartment-specific changes in bone with hindlimb unloading in mature adult rats. Bone 31:149-157, 2002.
2. XD Chen, MR Allen, S Bloomfield T Xu, and M Young. Biglycan deficient mice have delayed osteogenesis after marrow ablation. Calcif Tissue Int 72: 577-582, 2003.
3. KL Nielsen, MR Allen, SA Bloomfield, TL Andersen, XD Chen, T Xu, HS Poulsen, MF Young, and AM Heegaard. Biglycan deficiency interferes with ovariectomy-induced bone loss. J Bone Miner Res 18: 2152-2158, 2003.
4. MR Allen and SA Bloomfield. Hindlimb unloading has a greater effect on cortical compared to cancellous bone in mature female rats. J Appl Physiol 94: 642-650, 2003.
5. R Naryanan, MR Allen, D Gaddy S, SA Bloomfield, CL Smith, and NL Weigel. Differential skeletal responses of hindlimb unloaded rats on a vitamin D deficient diet to 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 and its analog, seocalcitol (EB1089). Bone 35:134-143, 2004.
6. GL Warren, JL Stallone, MR Allen, and SA Bloomfield. Functional recovery of the plantarflexor muscle group after hindlimb unloading in the rat. Eur J Appl Physiol 93:130-138, 2004.
7. M.Miura, XD Chen, MR Allen, Y Bi, S Gronthos, BM Seo, S Lakhani, RA Flavell, XH Feng, PG Robey, M Young, and S Shi. A crucial role of Caspase-3 in osteogenic differentiation of bone marrow stromal stem cells J Clin Invest 114: 1704-1713, 2004. PMCID: PMC535063 http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5593
8. MJ Hubal, CP Ingalls, MR Allen, JC Wenke, HA Hogan, and SA Bloomfield. Effects of eccentric exercise training on cortical bone and muscle strength in the estrogen-deficient mouse. J Appl Physiol 98: 1674-1681, 2005.
9. MR Allen and DB Burr. Human femoral neck has less cellular periosteum, and more mineralized periosteum, than femoral diaphyseal bone. Bone 36: 311-316, 2005.
10. Y Miura, M Miura, S Gronthos, MR Allen, C Cao, TE Uveges, Y Bi, D Ehirchiou, A Kortesidis, S Shi, and L Zhang. Defective osteogenesis of the stromal stem cells predisposes CD18-null mice to osteoporosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci 102:14022-14027, 2005. PMCID: PMC1236524 http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5594
11. JM Wallace, RM Rajachar, XD Chen, S Shi, MR Allen, SA Bloomfield, CM Les, PG Robey, MF Young, and DH Kohn. The mechanical phenotype of biglycan deficient mice is bone- and gender-specific. Bone 39: 106-116, 2006.
12. MR Allen, HA Hogan, and SA Bloomfield. Differential bone and muscle recovery following hindlimb unloading in skeletally mature male rats. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 6:217-225, 2006.
13. MR Allen, K Iwata, R Phipps, and DB Burr. Alterations in canine vertebral bone turnover, microdamage accumulation, and biomechanical properties following 1-year treatment with clinical treatment doses of risedronate or alendronate. Bone 39:872-879, 2006. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5672
14. MR Allen, K Iwata, M Sato, and DB Burr. Raloxifene enhances vertebral mechanical properties independent of bone density. Bone 39: 1130-1135, 2006. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5671
15. MR Allen, H Folett, M Khurana, M Sato, and DB Burr. Antiremodeling agents influence osteoblast activity differently in modeling and remodeling sites of canine rib. Calcif Tissue Int. 79:255-261, 2006.
16. JM Wallace, RM Rajachar, MR Allen, SA Bloomfield, PG Robey, MF Young, and DH Kohn. Exercise-induced changes in the cortical bone of growing mice are bone- and gender-specific. Bone 40: 1120-1127, 2007. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/3872
17. SK Eswaran, MR Allen, DB Burr, and TM Keaveny. A computational assessment of the independent contribution of changes in canine trabecular bone volume fraction and microarchitecture to increased bone strength with suppression of bone turnover. J Biomechanics 40: 3424-3431, 2007. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4622
18. R Prisby, M Ramsey, B Behnke, J Dominguez, A Donato, MR Allen, and M Delp. Aging reduces skeletal blood flow, endothelium-dependent vasodilation and NO bioavailability in rats. J Bone Miner Res 22: 1280-1288, 2007.
19. MR Allen, HA Hogan, WA Hobbs, AS Koivuniemi, MC Koivuniemi, and DB Burr. Raloxifene enhances material-level mechanical properties of femoral cortical and trabecular bone. Endocrinology 148: 3908-3913, 2007. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5595
20. MR Allen and DB Burr. Three years of alendronate treatment results in similar levels of vertebral microdamage as after one year of treatment. J Bone Miner Res 22:1759-1765, 2007. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5690
21. MR Allen. Animal models of osteonecrosis of the jaw. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 7: 358-360, 2007.
22. MR Allen and DB Burr. Changes in vertebral strength-density and energy absorption-density relationships following bisphosphonate treatment in beagle dogs. Osteo Int 19: 95-99, 2008. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5689
23. RK Fuchs, MR Allen, ME Ruppel, T Diab, RJ Phipps, LM Miller, and DB Burr. In situ examination of the time-course for secondary mineralization of Haversian bone using synchrotron Fourier transform infrared microspectroscopy. Matrix Biology 27: 34-41, 2008.
24. RK Fuchs, MR Allen, KW Condon, S Reinwald, LM Miller, D McClenatahan, B Keck, RJ Phipps, and DB Burr. Strontium ranelate does not stimulate bone formation in ovariectomized rats. Osteo Int 19:1331-1341, 2008.
25. AG Robling, PJ Niziolek, LA Baldridge, KW Condon, MR Allen, I Alam, SM Mantila, J Gluhak-Heinrich, TM Bellido, SE Harris, and CH Turner. Mechanical stimulation of bone in vivo reduces osteocyte expression of Sost/sclerostin. J Biol Chem 283:5866-5875, 2008.
26. T Siegmund, MR Allen, and DB Burr. Failure of mineralized collagen fibrils: Modeling the role of collagen cross-linking. Journal of Biomechanics 41:1427-1435, 2008.
27. K Baek, AA Barlow, MR Allen, and SA Bloomfield. Food restriction and simulated microgravity: effects on bone and serum leptin. J Appl Physiol 104: 1086-1093, 2008.
28. MR Allen, E Gineyts, DJ Leeming, DB Burr, and PD Delmas. Bisphosphonates alter trabecular bone collagen cross-linking and isomerization in beagle dog vertebra. Osteo Int 19:329-337, 2008. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5678
29. MR Allen and DB Burr. Mandible matrix necrosis in beagle dogs after 3 years of daily oral bisphosphonate treatment. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:987-994, 2008. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4608
30. MR Allen, S Reinwald, and DB Burr. Alendronate reduces bone toughness of ribs without significantly increasing microdamage accumulation in dogs following three years of daily treatment. Calcif Tissue Int 82:354-360, 2008. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4607
31. CA O’Brien, LI Plotkin, C Galli, JJ Goellner, AR Gortazar, MR Allen, A Robling, M Bouxsein, E Schipani, CH Turner, RL Jilka, RS Weinstein, SC Manolagas, and T Bellido. Control of bone mass and remodeling by PTH receptor signaling in osteocytes. PLoS ONE 2008 Aug 13;3(8):e2942, 2008. PMCID: PMC2491588. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5596
32. X Wang, MR Allen, DB Burr, EJ Lavernia, B Jeremic, and DP Fyhrie. Identification of material parameters based on Mohr-Coulomb failure criterion for bisphosphonate treated canine vertebral cancellous bone. Bone 43:775-780, 2008. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4643
33. SK Eswaran, G Bevill, P Nagarathnam, MR Allen, DB Burr, and TM Keaveny. Effects of suppression of bone turnover on cortical and trabecular load sharing in the canine vertebral body. J Biomechanics 42:517-523, 2009. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4623
34. X Wang, A Erickson, MR Allen, DB Burr, RB Martin, and SJ Hazelwood. Theoretical analysis of alendronate and risedronate effects on canine vertebral remodeling and microdamage. J Biomechanics 42: 938-944, 2009. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4644
35. T Diab, MR Allen, and DB Burr. Alendronate treatment results in similar levels of trabecular bone remodeling in the femoral neck and vertebra. Osteo Int 20: 647-652, 2009. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4621
36. S Reinwald R Peterson, MR Allen, and DB Burr. Skeletal changes associated with the onset of type 2 diabetes in the ZDF and ZDSD rodent models. AJP Endocrinology 296: E765-774, 2009. No archving per journal policy
37. SY Tang, MR Allen, R Phipps, DB Burr, and D Vashishth. Changes in non-enzymatic glycation and its association with altered mechanical properties following 1-year treatment with risedronate or alendronate. Osteo Int 20: 887-894, 2009. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4641
38. MR Allen and SL Ruggiero. Higher bone matrix density exists in only a subset of patients with bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67: 1373-1377, 2009.
39. DB Burr, T Diab, A Koivunemi, M Koivunemi, and MR Allen. Effects of one to three years treatment with alendronate on mechanical properties of the femoral shaft in a canine model: Implications for subtrochantaric femoral fracture risk. J Ortho Res 27: 1288-1292, 2009. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4618
40. MR Allen, DJ Kubek, and DB Burr. Cancer treatment dosing regimens of zoledronic acid result in near-complete suppression of mandible intracortical bone remodeling in beagle dogs. J Bone Miner Res 25: 98-105, 2010. PMCID: PMC3153321.
†41.DJ Kubek, Gattone VH 2nd, and MR Allen. Methodological assessment of acid-etching for visualizing the osteocyte lacunar-canalicular networks using scanning electron microscopy. Micros Res Tech 73: 182-186, 2010.
†42. A Feher, A Koivuniemi, M Koivuniemi, RK Fuchs, DB Burr, RJ Phipps, SR Reinwald, and MR Allen. Bisphosphonates do not inhibit periosteal bone formation in estrogen deficient animals and allow enhanced bone modeling in response to mechanical loading. Bone 46: 203-207, 2010.
43. MR Allen, AM Erickson, X Wang, DB Burr, RB Martin, and S Hazelwood. Morphological assessment of basic multicellular unit resorption parameters in dogs shows additional mechanisms of bisphosphonate effects on bone. Calcif Tissue Int 86: 67-71, 2010. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4609
44. JM Dominguez, RD Prisby, JM Muller-Delp, MR Allen, and MD Delp. Increased nitric oxide-mediated vasodilation of bone resistance arteries is associated with increased trabecular bone volume after endurance training in rats. Bone 46:813-819, 2010. PMCID: PMC2823927.
45. LM Havill, MR Allen, TL Bredbenner, DB Burr, DP Nicolella, CH Turner, DM Warren, and MC Mahaney. Heritability of lumbar trabecular bone mechanical properties in baboons. Bone 46:835-840, 2010. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4626
46. S Gourion-Arsiquaud, MR Allen, DB Burr, D Vashishth, SY Tang, and AL Boskey. Bisphosphonate treatment modifies canine bone mineral and matrix properties and their heterogeneity. Bone 46:666-672, 2010. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4625
47. MR Allen, TG Chu, D Kubek, and D Burr. Compromised osseous healing of dental extraction sites in zoledronic acid-treated dogs. Osteo Int 22: 693-702, 2010. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4610
48. T Siegmund, MR Allen, and DB Burr. Can deterministic mechanical size effects contribute to fracture and microdamage accumulation in trabecular bone? J Theor Biol 21: 202-210, 2010. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4639
49. J O’Neal, T Diab, MR Allen, DB Burr, and R Guldberg. One year of alendronate treatment lowers microstructural stresses associated with trabecular microdamage initiation. Bone 47: 241-247, 2010. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4631
50. MR Allen, B Pandya, and SL Ruggiero. Lack of correlation between duration of osteonecrosis of the jaw and sequestra tissue morphology: What it tells us about the condition and what it means for future studies. J Oral Maxillo Surg 68: 2730-2734, 2010. PMCID: PMC2963684.
51. E Allam, MR Allen, TMG Chu, A Ghoneima,and LJ Windsor. In vivo effects of zoledronic acid on oral mucosal epithelial cells. Oral Dis 17: 291-297, 2011. PMCID: PMC3010441.
†52.D Kubek, DB Burr, and MR Allen. Ovariectomy stimulates and zoledronic acid inhibits intra-cortical remodeling in the mouse mandible. Orthod Craniofac Res 13: 214-222, 2010. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4628
53. MR Allen, J Turek, RJ Phipps, and DB Burr. Greater magnitude of turnover suppression occurs earlier after treatment initiation with risedronate than alendronate. Bone 49: 128-132, 2011.
54. Y Rhee, MR Allen, K Condon, V Lezcano, AC Ronda, C Galli, N Oliovos, G Passeri, CA O’Brien, N Bivi, LI Plotkin, and T Bellido. PTH receptor signaling in osteocytes governs periosteal bone formation and intracortical remodeling. J Bone and Mineral Res 26: 1035-1046, 2011. PMCID: PMC3179307.
55. RK Fuchs, ME Ruppel, MR Allen, RJ Phipps, LM Miller and DB Burr. Bisphosphonates do not alter the rate of secondary mineralization. Bone 49: 701-705, 2011.
56. B Pemmer, JG Hofstaetter, F Meirer, S Smolek, P Wobrauschek, R Simon, RK. Fuchs, MR Allen, KW Condon, S Reinwald, RJ Phipps, DB Burr, EP Paschalis, K Klaushofer, C Strelia and P Roschger. Increased strontium uptake in trabecular bone of ovariectomized calcium-deficient rats treated with strontium ranelate or strontium chloride. J Synchrotron Radiation 18: 835-841, 2011. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4632
57. S Ichikawa, A Austin, A Gray, MR Allen, M Econs. Dietary phosphate restriction normalizes biochemical and skeletal abnormalities in a murine model of tumoral calcinosis. Endocrinology 152: 4504-13, 2011. PMCID: PMC3230057. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5597
58. E Farrow, X Yu, L Summers, S Davis, J Fleet, M Allen, A Robling, K Stayrook, V Jideonwo, M Magers, H Garringer, R Vidal, R Chan, C Goodwin, S Hui, M Peacock, K White. Iron deficiency drives an autosomal dominant hypophosphatemic rickets (ADHR) phenotype in fibroblast growth factor-23 (fgf23) knock-in mice. PNAS 108: E1146-1155, 2011. PMCID: PMC3219119 http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5598
59. N Bivi, K Condon, MR Allen, N Farlow, G Passeri, Y Rhee, T Bellido, LI Plotkin. Cell autonomous requirement of connexin 43 for osteocyte survival: consequences for endocortical resorption and periosteal bone formation. J Bone Miner Res 27: 374-389, 2012. PMCID: PMC3271138.
60 X Tu, Y Rhee, K Condon, N Bivi, MR Allen, D Dwyer, M Stolina, CH Turner, AG Robling, LI Plotkin, T Bellido. Sost downregulation and local Wnt signaling are required for the osteogenic response to mechanical loading. Bone 50: 209-217, 2012. PMCID: PMC3246572.
61. J Turek, FH Ebetino, MW Lundy, S Sun, BA Kashemirov, CE McKenna, MA Gallant, LI Plotkin, T Bellido, X Duan, JT Triffitt, RGG Russell, DB Burr and MR Allen. Bisphosphonate binding affinity affects drug distribution in both intracortical and trabecular bone of rabbits. Calcif Tissue Int 90: 202-210, 2012.
62. SS Liu, E Cruz-Marroquin, J Sun, KT Stewart, MR Allen. Orthodontic mini-implant diameter does not affect in situ linear microcrack generation in the mandible or the maxilla. Am J Ortho Dent Ortho. 142: 768-773, 2012.
63. RC Smith, LM O’Bryan, EG Farrow, LJ Summers, EL Clinkerbeard, JL Roberts, TA Cass, J Saha, C Broderick, YL Ma, QQ Zeng, A Kharitonenkov, JM Wilson, Q Guo, H Sun, MR Allen, DB Burr, MD Breyer, KE White. Circulating αKlotho influences phosphate handling by controlling FGF23 production. JCI, 122: 4710-4715, 2012. PMCID: PMC3533557. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4640
64. RD Prisby, JM Dominguez, J Muller-Delp, MR Allen, MD Delp. Aging and estrogen status: A possible endothelium-dependent vascular coupling mechanism in bone remodeling. PloS one 7, e48564, 2012. PMCID: PMC3502426. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5599
65. OO Aruwajoye, MK Patel, MR Allen, DB Burr, PB Aswath, HWK Kim. Microcrack density and nanomechanical properties in the subcondral region of the immature piglet femoral head following ischemic osteonecrosis. Bone. 52: 632-639, 2013.
66. MA Gallant, DM Brown, JM Organ, MR Allen, DB Burr. Reference-point indentation correlates with bone toughness assessed using whole-bone traditional mechanical testing. Bone. 53: 301-305, 2013. PMCID: PMC3563255. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4624
67. JO Green, T Diab, MR Allen, B Vidakovic, DB Burr, and R Goldberg. Three years of alendronate treatment does not continue to decrease microstructural stresses and strains associated with trabecular microdamage initiation beyond those at 1 year. Osteo Int. 23: 2313-2320, 2012.
68. MR Allen, NX Chen, VH Gattone II, X Chen, AJ Carr, P LeBlanc, D Brown, SM Moe. Skeletal effects of zoledronic acid in an animal model of chronic kidney disease. Osteo Int. 24: 1471-1481, 2013. PMCID: PMC4063946.
69 MR Allen, TMG Chu, SL Ruggiero. Absence of exposed bone following dental extraction in beagle dogs treated with 9 months of high-dose zoledronic acid combined with dexamethasone. J Oral Maxillo Surg. 71: 1017-1026, 2013. PMCID: PMC3644548.
†70. E Smith and MR Allen. Bisphosphonate-induced reductions in rat femoral bone energy absorption and toughness are testing rate-dependent. J Ortho Res. 31: 1317-1322, 2013. PMCID: PMC4048838.
71. NX Chen, K Kiattisunthorn, KD O’Neill, X Chen, RN Moorthi, VH Gattone, MR Allen, and SM Moe. Decreased microRNA is involved in the vascular remodeling abnormalities in chronic kidney disease. Plos One. 8: e64558. PMCID: PMC3661525. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5600
72. JM Swift, F Lima, BR Macias, MR Allen, ES Greene, Y Shirazi-Fard, JS Kupke, HA Hogan, and SA Bloomfield. Partial weight bearing does not prevent musculoskeletal losses associated with disuse. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 45: 2052-2060, 2013.
†73.TD Luo and MR Allen. Short-courses of dexamethasone abolish bisphosphonate-induced reductions in bone toughness. Bone. 56: 199-203, 2013. PMCID: PMC3732470. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/3376
74. LM Havill, MR Allen, JAK Harris, SM Levine, MC Mahaney, DP Nicolella. Intracortical bone remodeling variation shows strong genetic effects. Calcif Tissue Int. 93: 472-480, 2013. PMCID: PMC3824973.
75. EL Clinkenbeard, EG Farrow, LJ Summers, TA Cass, JL Robers, CA Bayt, T Lahm, M Albrecht, MR Allen, M Peacock, KE White. Neonatal iron deficiency causes abnormal phosphate metabolism by elevating FGF23 in normal and ADHR Mice. J Bone Min Res. 29: 361-369, 2014.
76. Y Rhee, EY Lee, V Lezcano, AC Ronda, KW Condon, MR Allen, LI Plotkin, T Bellido. Resorption controls bone anabolism driven by parathyroid hormone (PTH) receptor signaling in osteocytes. J Bio Chem. 288: 29809-29820, 2013. PMCID: PMC3795280.
†77. M Aref, MA Gallant, JM Organ, JM Wallace, CL Newman, DB Burr, DM Brown, MR Allen. In vivo reference point indentation reveals positive effects of raloxifene on mechanical properties following six months of treatment in skeletally mature beagle dogs. Bone. 56: 449-453, 2013. PMCID: PMC3873633. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/3375
78. SM Moe, NX Chen, CL Newman, VH Gattone, JM Organ, X Chen, MR Allen. A comparison of calcium to zoledronic acid for improvement of cortical bone in an animal model of CKD. J Bone Mineral Res. 29(4): 902-10, 2014. PMCID: PMC3940692. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/3644
79. MR Allen, NX Chen, VH Gattone, SM Moe. Adverse mandibular bone effects associated with kidney disease are only partially corrected with bisphosphonate and/or calcium treatment. Am J Nephrology. 38: 458-464, 2013. PMCID: PMC3904105. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/3643
†80. GH Yassen, TMG Chu, MA Gallant, MR Allen, MM Vail, PE Murray, JA Platt. A novel approach to evaluate the effect of medicaments used in endodontic regeneration on root canal surface indentation. Clin Oral Investig 18: 1569-75, 2014. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/3642
81. MA Gallant, DM Brown, M Hammond, JM Wallace, J Du, AX Deymier-Black, JD Almer, SR Stock, MR Allen and DB Burr. Bone cell-independent benefits of raloxifene on the skeleton: A novel mechanism for improving bone material properties. Bone 61: 191-200, 2014. PMCID: PMC3955028. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/3906
82. S Huang, P Elensite, C Cater, N Shah, E Eipper, R Mains, MR Allen, A Bruzzaniti. The Rho-GEF Kalirin regulates bone mass and the function of osteoblasts and osteoclasts. Bone 60: 235-245, 2014. PMCID: PMC3934571.
83. R Pacheco-Costa, I Hassan, RD Reginato, HM Davis, A Bruzzaniti, MR Allen, LI Plotkin. High bone mass in mice lacking Cx37 due to defective osteoclast differentiation. J Biol Chem 289(12): 8508-20, 2014. PMCID: PMC3961675. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4129
84. D Bajaj, JR Geissler, MR Allen, DB Burr, and JC Fritton. The resistance of cortical bone tissue to failure under cyclic loading is reduced with alendronate. Bone 64: 57-64, 2014.
85. CH Hsueh, NX Chen, SF Lin, PS Chen, VH Gattone, MR Allen, MC Fishbein and SM Moe. Pathogenesis of arrhythmias in a model of CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 25:2812-21, 2014. PMCID: PMC4243359
86. CY Park, WH Lee, JC Fleet, MR Allen, GP McCabe, DM Walsh, CM Weaver. Calcium and vitamin D intake maintained from preovariectomy independently affect calcium metabolism and bone properties in Sprague Dawley rats. Osteoporos Int 25: 1905-15, 2014.
87. MR Allen, CL Newman, E Smith, DM Brown, and JM Organ. Variability of in vivo reference point indentation in skeletally mature inbred rats. J. Biomech 47:2504-7, 2014. PMCID: PMC4096655 http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4299
†88. CL Newman, SM Moe, NX Chen, MA Hammond, JM Wallace, JS Nyman, and MR Allen. Cortical bone mechanical properties are altered in an animal model of progressive chronic kidney disease. PLoS One 9(6): e99262, 2014. PMCID: PMC4049798. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4568
89. AN Ben-awadh, J Delgado-Calle, X Tu, K Kuhlenschmidt, MR Allen, LI Plotkin, T Bellido. Parathyroid hormone receptor signaling induces bone resorption in the adult skeleton by directly regulating the RANKL gene in osteocytes. Endocrinology 155:2797-809, 2014. PMCID: PMC4098003. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5601
90. S Ichikawa, AK Gray, LR Padgett, MR Allen, EL Clinkenbeard, N Sarpa, KE White, MJ Econs. Genetic rescue of glycosylation-deficient Fgf23 in the Galnt3 knockout mouse. Endocrinology. 155: 3891-8, 2014. PMCID: PMC4164931. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5602
91. JM Swift, SN Swift, MR Allen and SA Bloomfield. Beta-1 adrenergic agonist treatment mitigates negative changes in cancellous bone micro architecture and inhibits osteocyte apoptosis during disuse. PLoS One 9: e106904, 2014. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5546
92. SM Moe, NX Chen, CL Newman, JM Organ, M Kneissel, I Kramer, VH Gattone II, and MR Allen. Anti-Sclerostin antibody treatment in a rat model of progressive renal osteodystrophy. J Bone Miner Res 30(3): 499-509, 2015. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5544
93. DB Burr, Z Liu, MR Allen. Duration-dependent effects of clinically relevant oral alendronate doses on cortical bone toughness in beagle dogs. Bone 71: 58-62, 2015. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5540
94. MR Allen, CL Newman, N Chen, M Granke, JS. Nyman, and SM Moe. Changes in skeletal collagen crosslinks and matrix hydration in high and low turnover chronic kidney disease. Osteoporos Int 26(3): 977-85, 2015. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5543
95. M Saito, MD Grynpas, DB Burr, MR Allen, SY Smith, N Doyle, N Amizuka, T Hasegawa, Y Kida, K Marumo, and H Saito. Treatment with eldecalcitol positively affects mineralization, microdamage, and collagen crosslinks in primate bone. Bone 73:8-15, 2015 http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5539
96. MR Allen, PR Territo, C Lin, S Persohn, L Jiang, AA. Riley, BP McCarthy, CL Newman, DB Burr, and GD Hutchins. In vivo UTE-MRI reveals positive effects of raloxifene on skeletal bound water in skeletally mature beagle dogs. J Bone Miner Res 30(8): 1441-4, 2015. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5753
97. RD Prisby, BJ Behnke, MR Allen, and MD. Delp. Effects of skeletal unloading on the vasomotor properties of the rat femur principal nutrient artery. J Appl Physiol 118(8): 980-8, 2015.
98. AP Baumann, MW Aref, TL Turnbull, AG Robling, GL Niebur, MR Allen, and RK Roeder. Development of an in vivo rabbit ulnar loading model. Bone 75: 55-61, 2015.
99. J Tisdale, MR Allen, B Overholser, H Wroblewski, and R Kovacs. Influence of zoledronic acid on atrial electrophysiological parameters and electrocardiographic measurements. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 26(6): 671-7, 2015.
†100. CL Newman, NX Chen, E Smith, M Smith, D Brown, SM Moe, and MR Allen. Compromised vertebral structural and mechanical properties associated with progressive kidney disease and the effects of traditional pharmacological interventions. Bone 77: 50-6, 2015.
101. A Srisuwananukorn, MR Allen, DM Brown, JM Wallace, JM Organ. In vivo reference point indentation measurement variability in skeletally mature inbred mice. BoneKey Reports 4:712, 2015.
102. C Acevedo, H Bale, B Gludovatz, A Wat, SY Tang, M Wang, B Busse, EA. Zimmermann, E
Schaible, MR Allen, DB Burr and RO Ritchie. Alendronate treatment alters bone tissues at multiple structural levels in healthy canine cortical bone. BONE. 81:352-363, 2015.
103. NX Chen, KD O'Neill, MR Allen, CL Newman, SM Moe. Low bone turnover in chronic kidney
disease is associated with decreased VEGF-A expression and osteoblast differentiation. Am J Nephrol. 41(6):464-473, 2015.
104. LI Plotkin, AR Gortazar, HM Davis, KW Condon, H Gabilondo, M Maycas, MR Allen, T Bellido. Inhibition of osteocyte apoptosis prevents the increase in osteocytic receptor activator of nuclear factor κB ligand (RANKL) but does not stop bone resorption or the loss of bone induced by unloading. J Biol Chem 290(31): 18934-42, 2015.
105. JM Swift, SN Swift, JT Smith, JG Kiang, MR Allen. Skin wound trauma, following high-dose radiation exposure, amplifies and prolongs skeletal tissue loss. In press Bone.
106. P Childress, K Stayrook, MB Alvarez, Z Wang, Y Shao, S Hernandez-Buquer, JK Mack, ZR Grese, Y
He, D Horan, FM Pavalko, SJ Warden, AG Robling, F Yang, MR Allen, V Krishnan, Y Liu, JP Bidwell. Genome-wide mapping and interrogation of the Nmp4 anti-anabolic bone axis. Mol Endocrinology. 2015. In press
107. J Organ, A Srisumananukorn, P Price, J Joll, K Biro, J Rupert, N Chen, K Avin, S Moe, MR Allen.
Reduced skeletal muscle function is associated with decreased fiber cross-sectional area in the Cy/+ rat model of progressive kidney disease. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, In Press.
108. C Newman, A Creecy, M Granke, J Nyman, N Tian, M Hammond, J Wallace, D Brown, N Chen, S Moe, MR Allen. Raloxifene improves skeletal properties in an animal model of chronic kidney disease. Kidney International, In press.
REVIEWS [† as mentor]
1. MR Allen, JM Hock, and DB Burr. Periosteum: biology, regulation, and response to osteoporosis therapies. Bone 35: 1003-1012, 2004. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5684
2. MR Allen and DB Burr. Parathyroid hormone and bone biomechanics. Clin Rev Bone Min Metab 4: 259-268, 2006.
3. MR Allen and DB Burr. Mineralization, microdamage, and matrix: How bisphosphonates influence material properties of bone. BoneKEy (Osteovision) perspective (http://www.bonekey-ibms.org/cgi/content/full/ibmske;4/2/49), 2007.
4. MR Allen and DB Burr. Skeletal microdamage: Less about biomechanics and more about remodeling. Clin Rev Bone Min Metab 6: 24-30, 2008. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5692
5. MR Allen. Surface-specific bone formation effects of osteoporosis pharmacological treatments. Clin Rev Bone Min Metab 6: 62-69, 2008. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5679
6. MR Allen. Skeletal accumulation of bisphosphonates: Implications for osteoporosis treatment. Expert Opinion on Drug Metabolism & Toxicology. 4:1371-1378, 2008. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5691
7. MR Allen. Bisphosphonates and osteonecrosis of the jaw: Moving from the bedside to the bench. Cells, Tissues, Organs 189: 289-294, 2009. PMCID: PMC2824205.
8. MR Allen and DB Burr. The pathogenesis of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: So many hypotheses, so few data. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67(5 Suppl): 61-70, 2009. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5673
9. DB Burr and MR Allen. Mandibular necrosis in beagle dogs treated with bisphosphonates. Orthod Craniofac Res 12: 1-8, 2009. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/4619
10. MR Allen and DB Burr. Bisphosphonate effects on bone turnover, microdamage, and mechanical properties: What we think we know and what we know that we don't know. Bone 49: 56-65, 2011. http://hdl.handle.net/1805/5688
11. MR Allen. The effects of bisphosphonates on jaw bone remodeling, tissue properties, and extraction healing. Odontology 99: 8-17, 2011.
12. MR Allen and SL Ruggiero. Osteonecrosis of the jaw: Recent clinical and preclinical advances. BoneKEy perspective 8: 141-53, 2011.
13. L Jones and MR Allen. Animal models of Osteonecrosis. Clin Rev Bone Min Metab 9: 63-80, 2011.
14. MR Allen and SL Ruggiero. A review of pharmacological agents and oral bone health: how osteonecrosis of the jaw has affected the field. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 29(1): e45-57, 2014.
15. DB Burr and MR Allen. Foreward: Calcified Tissue International and Musculoskeletal Research Special Issue – Bone Material Properties and Skeletal Fragility. Calcif Tissue Int 97(3): 199-200, 2015.
16. MR Allen, E McNerny, JM Organ, JM Wallace. True gold or pyrite: A review of reference point indentation for assessing bone mechanical properties in vivo J Bone Miner Res. 30(9): 1539-50, 2015.
17. MR Allen. Medication-Related Osteonecrosis of the Jaw: Basic and Translational Science Updates. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2015 Aug 13. pii: S1042-3699(15)00050-3.
BOOK CHAPTERS IN RESEARCH [† as mentor]
1. MR Allen, DB Burr, and CH Turner. The effect of age on material properties. In: Orwoll (ed) Osteoporosis in Men, 2nd edition, 2010.
†2. CL Newman and MR Allen. Bone Remodeling. In: Frank C. Mooren & James S. Skinner (eds.), Encyclopedia of Exercise Medicine in Health and Disease, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2011
3. DB Burr and MR Allen. Bisphosphonates and PTH. In: Silva and Guo (eds). Studies in Mechanobiology, Tissue Engineering, and Biomaterials. 2013
4 T Siegmund, MR Allen, and DB Burr. Modeling of Bone Failure by Cohesive Zone Models. In: Mechanics Down Under, 2013.
5. MR Allen. Animal models of Osteonecrosis of the Jaw. Chapter in Medication-Related Osteonecrosis of the Jaws-Bisphosphonates, Denosumab and New Agents. 2015
PUBLICATIONS IN TEACHING:
1. Basic and Applied Bone Biology. DB Burr and MR Allen – Editors. Elsevier 2013.
-MR Allen and DB Burr. Chapter 4 – Bone modeling and remodeling
-MR Allen and K Krohn. Chapter 5 – Skeletal Imaging
-MR Allen and DB Burr. Chapter 7 – Techniques in histomorphometry
-BH Mitlak, DB Burr, and MR Allen. Chapter 17 – Pharmaceutical treatments of osteoporosis